Friday, December 9, 2011

Can't Cry Wolf

These not-so-welcome guests showed up at my front door early yesterday morning.  Yep, my neighbor's dogs were on the loose once again, the fifth sighting in just over a week.  I had called Animal Services on Monday (I've got 'em on speed dial) when the larger dog was spooking the goats and was again advised of my right to shoot it/them.  I prefer a camera to bullets because this situation is not the dogs' fault.  It is certainly not in the dogs' best interest to let them run loose up here.  A drive of any distance reveals road kill of all varieties:  deer, skunk...and dogs.  Predatory wildlife also takes a toll.  And there are those owners of livestock who are not so reluctant to use a gun.  It is simply irresponsible, if not downright negligent, to allow dogs to roam at will.  Talking with Animal Services yesterday, it seemed my only recourse was to drive down to Placerville, file (another) complaint, and sign a Citizen's Arrest.  It is not a good feeling to take such action against a neighbor, and my signature was pretty shaky.  However, I cannot continue to call Animal Services and expect them to help if I am not willing to take the next step and press charges.  The line in the sand has been crossed.

To add to an already blown day, I had no more than left Placerville on narrow, hilly, twisting Cedar Ravine when the engine started making a noise.  Not a good noise.  A quick check of the dash showed the battery was not charging.  Oh, boogers!  The alternator was either gone or going.  I began asking the truck gods to please let me make it to a big road.  There are few to no places to pull over on Cedar Ravine, no cell phone reception, and I would have been in deep doodah if the engine had quit.  Bucks Bar Road is even more twisting and narrow and hilly, and I pleaded even louder to make it to Mt. Aukum Road where the auto club could find me.  Son of a gun, I did!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Pushing my luck, I begged, "If it isn't asking too much, could I please make it home?"  Hoping the truck gods weren't just playing with me, I finally headed up the dirt road to the house.  Home free!  I like happy endings.  I called Tree Guy with my tale of woe.  Bless his heart, he's going to get me an alternator in town today and will put it in this afternoon.  There are good people in this world, and I'm so fortunate.

I really can't say that it was a good day, but, dang, the tree looks good!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh my gosh you had me holding my breath - literally - as I read, and I'm so glad that you kept prayin' and movin' forward and got home...and that you are engine-wise enough to diagnose your truck problem so that Tree Guy can come and fix while you are not sitting in a repair-shop waiting room while they repair, or wait for the right part and then repair. And as for the dogs, I can only hope that the severity is explained to the neighbor in terms that she understands, and that she is grateful that her dogs did not meet the fate that they would have, had you been less compassionate.

Kathy V said...

I really hate it when people tell you their dogs are friendly, gentle with family and were only wanting to "play" with the goats! dogs is dogs and goats is goats. Confrontation is a hard thing, but good on you girl!