Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Women's World

I might as well be running a nunnery, for the lack of testosterone here on the farm.  The goats are running through their estrus cycles and it makes them a little crazy.  It's bad enough one at a time, but it compounds exponentially when they cycle together.  They get on each other's nerves (and backs), appetites drop, fights break out.  Nineteen runs around like a mad thing, doing what he can...which is nothing.  I keep hearing the Rolling Stones..."I Can't Get No Satisfaction."  I've mentioned the term "sex stupid" before.  Let's just say this is not Ruth's best look.  I could barely get their attention to come in for breakfast and milking yesterday.  The only good thing about this situation is that the girls are in heat for only twenty-four hours each month, then peace will reign again.

Tree Guy and son arrived shortly after I came up from the barn and we started right to work.  My job, thankfully, was just to drive the little tractor and trailer back and forth.  Tree Guy and son loaded quite literally a ton of cut rounds from the goat pen into the trailer, walked up the hill, unloaded the wood up by the splitter, and trekked back down to the pen.  It really was a three-person job:  one to open the gate, one to herd those wild and crazy goats away, and one (me!) to drive through.  Fully loaded with wood, the little tractor wouldn't go very fast.  The guys were sweating buckets, and I was cruising, enjoying the gorgeous day.  Sometimes it pays to live in a woman's world.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I read the blog and then showered, and you now have 3 songs running around in my head...so let's see if I can do the same for you!: Doris Day as Calamity Jane in an old dusty cabin, wielding a broom singing, "A Woman's Touch;" Patti Page bringing home the bacon as a W-O-MAN; and Helen Reddy...roaring!! Enjoy!