Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Good Job!

The weedeater would start...but it wouldn't stay running.  How frustrating.  My son Larry came up yesterday to give me a little time and a lot of effort, tackling some of the bigger chores at Farview.  Weedeating the garden was at the top of the list, and there it stays until the dratted machine will do its job.  Not one to sit around, Larry trimmed the photinia hedge in front of the house, then cleaned up the debris and weeds from underneath.  It had gotten pretty seedy looking, and now looks spiffy!  He replaced a second bulb in the sensor light on the porch.  Since the critters go in at dusk, it's really very nice to have the porch light come on when I'm walking back up to the house, not that I need it to see...it's the welcoming aspect I enjoy.  Cleaning the gutters was next on the agenda, and, boy, did they ever need that!  The worst offender is the residue from the long fronds from the oaks, and the gutters were almost solid with that gunk.  I'm not so good on ladders anymore, so in addition to everything else Larry did, I do so appreciate his taking that on.  Tree Guy stopped by after his day job and gave Larry a quick lesson in chainsaws; best to learn from an expert.  The only thing I know about chainsaws is "run away!"  There are a lot of volunteer live oaks, particularly down by the entrance to the driveway, that are beginning to break down the fence.  I think that's going to go on today's To-Do list.

Like a pointer bird dog, my primary job was to search, find, and retrieve...a particular tool, nails, tape...whatever was needed.  There are multiples of almost everything because if one is working up by the barn, it's a booger to have to go get a tool that's down in the shop, and vice versa, but nothing is where one would expect it (Steve's organization).  The only way I know where anything is is because I noted it while I was searching for something else.

My only real contribution to the day was to cook.  Larry had mentioned fried Spam sandwiches from when he was a kid, so he got one of those for lunch.  Fresh pico de gallo and tortilla chips for a snack.  Skirt steak marinated in olive oil, garlic, and lime juice, quick grilled and sliced on the bias; sweet corn; crispy home fry potatoes with garlic and red pepper flakes; strawberry shortcake...dinner!  I do love to cook, and even more I love to cook for my Kids.  After dinner, Larry went down to the shop to tinker with the blasted weedeater.  A little TV for me...and to bed.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Awwww, it sounds like a day made in heaven, and because you didn't mention the weather, I'm guessing it cooperated better than the weedeather. Maybe THAT'S the problem...the weedeater does not care for the manufacturer's suggested diet, and it heard about your glorious dinner spread and it wanted to join you and Larry, and come to the table hungry!

Here's hoping that Tuesday is just as productive and fun as your Monday!