Sunday, July 3, 2011

Social Butterfly

It takes a pretty big draw to get me to leave home, and an even bigger attraction to make me drive to the valley.  Even then, up until I walk out the door with my keys in my hand, I want to throw myself on the floor, drum my heels, and holler, "I don't want to go-o-o!!"  (I have a very active inner child.)  Once my inner adult regains control, I go ahead and have a wonderful time.  The occasion yesterday was a surprise party to honor one of my brothers-in-law on his birthday.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  It was grand to connect with family and old friends.  My niece and nephew were the perfect hosts and had provided everything for which a guest could wish, but they couldn't do a thing about the heat...over one-hundred one...and I felt like the Wicked Witch, "I'm melting!"  Like a horse headed back to the barn, I had to set the cruise control on the truck to keep it from bolting on the way home.  (Just so my brother-in-law knows how special he is, I also missed a NASCAR race at Daytona.)

Tomorrow the social whirl continues with the annual Fourth of July party at Joel and Judy's.  I have given my inner child a stern talking-to, reminding her how much she always looks forward to this event.  I hope we can avoid the going-away scene again...but I have my doubts.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

With the price of the gas and the heat, and just the drive time, you paid quite a price to attend, and that brother-in-law was lucky to have you, but since you did, then I would guess you are lucky to have him too. Sounds like your inner adult was one smart cookie, although I'm sorry about NASCAR. And today, just say to your inner child, "Suck it up, Baby Bo...we're just going next door fergodsake!" HAVE FUN!!