Saturday, July 30, 2011

Under the Wire

Throughout the day, I had bathed Bessie's eye while waiting for the four o'clock appointment with Dr. Ric.  While out for a potty break in the afternoon, Bess caught sight of something and took off after it into the underbrush and came back covered with those godawful tiny Velcro burrs...terrible timing.  It took a full hour to brush them out of her coat...I was tempted to shave her down like a Mexican hairless.  (She'd done the same thing twice the day before.)  With the temperature hovering around one hundred, sweat was dripping as I worked on her...Dr. Ric was going to have to take me as I was because there'd be no time to clean up if we were going to make the appointment.  At the very last minute, I washed her face and checked her eye one more time...and this time I could see the foxtail and was able to remove it, much to her relief and mine!  I called and cancelled our visit, and explained I still had the ophthalmic antibiotic from our last go-round with a foxtail and would apply that.  Talk about just making it under the wire!  Repeated skunkings, leg injuries, foxtails, burrs...love her as I do, I'd have to say my little dog is a slow learner.

In contrast, in a week's time Twenty-Two has the bottle routine down pat, stands on his own four feet to drink, and no longer needs me to pry open his jaws to get the nipple in.  Tessie has also learned the breakfast-milking pattern and does no more than stamp her foot a couple of times during the process.  Some of the chickens need remedial training regarding bedtime and I, Pick-Me-Up Peggy under my arm, still have to herd them into the house every night.  Ah, well.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Bessie Anne...slow learner or...."I can do whatever I want and my mom will take care of me afterwards and make it all better!!" I guess it depends on whether she like the velcro-removal brushing and the de-skunking baths! Ya, it sounds like the hairless approach for the body, if not the head, would ease the pain for both of you. And YAY for #22 and Tessie...not s'much for the chickens, but, like you say, if you could put it off until it was totally dark, maybe all you'd have to do is batten down the hatches...but then you'd miss Peggy's company. Sounds like all's well at Farview!

Cally Kid said...

I think you should still shave her down like a Mexican Hairless! When you do you can leave enough hair to spell something like "DUH?" on one side of her!