Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mad Dogs & Englishmen

It seems we're going to have only two seasons this year, winter and summer.  I vaguely remember thinking spring had arrived, but she was gone in the blink of an eye and summer was upon us.  With the heat, I follow the example set by the animals, napping through the worst of it during the day.  The cats have taken to staying out all night.  Frank and Pearl just showed up at the door to be let in.  After a nighttime foray, each of them comes to me for a little loving, quite demanding in their wish to be petted and sweet-talked before they go to the kitchen to augment their mouse snacks with some regulation cat food.

Dave laughed at me while he was here, saying he could follow my pattern of weeding the different areas in the yard by noting which areas would have been in the shade throughout the day, and he was right.  As Noel Coward wrote, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."  Last evening I went out to the vegetable garden and picked the first peas and a few turnips.  There are tomatoes growing and green on the vines.  The Thompson seedless and Red Globe grape vines are loaded with clusters this year; maybe the birds will generously leave me a taste.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Well all I can say is, "It's a good thing you are German...and don't get bitten by any rabid dogs!" 'Tis almost time for the sun to go over the yard arm as I write this, so I hope your nap was wonderful and that there is some shade for you to do whatever you want to do! Hang in there for another....how many months of heat????