Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Turrible Big Weight

History does have a way of repeating.  I'm either in a time warp or the Twilight Zone because I just checked back and found that exactly one year ago I finally got my tax stuff in the mail (which I will do as soon as the post office opens), and when I wrote about it on Tuesday (as it is today), I had overslept (which I did this morning).  I'm leaning towards the Twilight Zone because a critical document that I just had in my hand while preparing the packet would suddenly disappear into thin air.  How could that happen?  I had not left the room and no one else was in the house.  This happened more than once.  I spent more time looking for something I'd just had than in filling out the forms.  One, and probably the only, benefit to doing this yearly onerous task is that I end up sorting the many stacks of papers I'm prone to accumulate and, in my crazed state, pitch and file so I don't go through the same stack twice.  At any rate, the deed is done and it's a huge weight off my mind.

In those stacks of loose papers, I ran across a number of recipes I'd written out from different cooking shows on TV and found one for Honeycomb Candy.  Instead of the beating I should have had for procrastination, I decided to treat myself for finally getting the job done.  The recipe is really very easy.  Butter a baking sheet and set aside.  Stir together 1/2 cup of sugar and 4 tbsp. of dark corn syrup (Karo) in a saucepan.  Bring to a slow boil.  Swirl the pan but do not stir until the mixture comes to 300 degrees (hard crack).  Remove from the heat and stir in 1-1/2 tsp. of baking soda.  The mixture will foam up and become light.  Don't overmix.  Turn out onto the baking sheet; do not spread it out.  When cool, break into pieces.  Light and crisp, guaranteed to give a sugar high that will lift burdened spirits at tax time.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

CONGRATULATONS...and you deserved something light (and sweet) to counter act the "Turrible Big Weight!" And wild about the deja vu timing!