Saturday, April 6, 2013

No Excuse

Any excuse is a good one when procrastinating, and I'm very good at making excuses and even better at procrastination.  There is something I must do that I don't want to do, so it suddenly became important yesterday to wash several dozen eggs to take to the hardware store.  (Doesn't every hardware store sell eggs?)  Then my friend Camille called and asked if I wanted some viola plants that had volunteered all over her yard, so naturally I had to go over and dig up a couple of dozen of those and several other flowering plants that were going to fall victim to the weed-eater if I didn't rescue them.  That was a pleasant way to shoot an hour down.  Back home, it was too late to pot the plants or start the project I didn't want to do in the first place.  Given that it was too early to do night chores and there were just a few chapters left in the latest book I'd been reading, I finished them off.  (Night Watch by Terry Pratchett; really good book.)  It was still daylight.  Camille had been kind enough to donate her flowers; it seemed only right that I invite her for dinner and a movie.  She was up for that and she and Honey came right over.  It's nice to have a neighbor who understands that, at a certain time, the movie gets put on "pause."  Camille went home to put her alpacas, chickens, and Shadow, the donkey, to bed while I tucked my critters in their rooms.  Then she came back and we finished watching "Lincoln."

I'm afraid I used up all my excuses yesterday and may have to face the music.  No.  Wait!  There are all those plants that must be potted today.  Whew!  For a minute there, I was worried I'd have no excuse.  As the saying goes, "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Well at least you are productive...or well-entertained...when you are "working" the excuses to their full extent of their art form.