Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Slow But Sure

Frank is very patient with me.  He understands I have limitations; after all, I'm only human.  Look how long it took me to learn his one-word cat command for "out."  He sometimes has to repeat it several times, looking pointedly at the door, before I get up and open it for him.  He is now in the process of training me to a new routine in the morning.  All the house critters know that treats are kept in the bottom drawer in a kitchen cabinet.  Bessie Anne will lead a guest to the drawer and wiggle her butt until I explain to Guest that Bess would like a treat.  Cute works for her.  Pearl is more subtle.  She sits in front of the drawer, usually when Frank and Bess are out of the house, and won't move out of my path until she gets what she wants.  Frank, on the other hand, is taking a more direct approach.  He seems to know I have a very limited cat vocabulary and so is teaching me another word, "now."  Looking into my eyes as I wait for the coffee to drip, he repeats "now" as he slowly guides me to the drawer.  He is evidently the leader of the gang, because as soon as the drawer opens and there is the crinkling of a treat bag, Bessie and Pearl appear from nowhere.  If I am very good and do as Frank directs (not asks, cats do not ask), I am rewarded by a rub-up against my ankles.  Frank seems to think that old gals can learn new tricks and it is his job to teach me.  I may be a slow learner, but I am still trainable. 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Putty in their hands...thou art! But how nice to have some domesticated 4-legged masters to serve, under your very roof!