Thursday, February 21, 2013

There's Hope

I am, as my friend Linda says, cautiously optimistic.  After another phone call to Nikon tech support, camera and computer are at least on speaking terms.  They may never become best friends, but at least they are communicating.

This photo was taken just a couple of hours after the snow started falling the other day.  That's my truck!  So glad I went to get feed when I did.

"Whitecaps" has a whole new meaning up here.  The Silkie pen has a covering of just chain link and chicken wire.  I have no idea, other than the fact that so much snow fell so fast, how it managed to cover the wire and not fall through.  This was taken yesterday morning after I'd let the littlest kids out of the Taj.

Double socks and boots were the dress of the day, and I had to pull out the little purple sled to haul alfalfa to the goat pen.  I again thought of whitecaps when every post around the pen was wearing a snow beanie.  Deer often come into the pen at night for the salt block and water trough, and I could see where they'd pawed through the snow to get at any alfalfa the girls might have left from the day before.  Down in the barn, it was darker than usual because of snow pack on the clear "skylight" panels.  While there wasn't a lot of warmth in the sunshine, it began to sound like a waterfall as the melt began, punctuated by heavy plops as clumps of snow dropped onto the roof from the dead tree branches above.  I live in an area referred to as a "banana belt," and it's rare that snow sticks more than a day or two.  By afternoon, most of it was gone from the sunny areas.  The ice was melting so fast from the house roof and I heard so much running water that I got worried a pipe had burst.  There was just so much snow that the gutters couldn't accommodate the runoff.

The Breakfast Club conned me into giving them treats again this morning.  It's great to start the day with a laugh, and those little faces looking up in expectation do that for me.  They really think they're getting away with something.  It's okay; I'm an easy mark.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

"Toto, are we back in Ohio??" Having grown up in Southern California, I didn't actually experience snow falling until I was an adult, and at a seminar in Northern California. They stopped the class so that the "newbies" could experience the silent white wonder. Post snowfall, the loud dull thud of a huge clump of accumulated snow falling from the mansard roof, is what I remember most!