Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Follow the Leader

"Neither a leader nor a follower be.  Hold my hand; walk along with me."  Goats would not understand that concept.  I once read that there is a problem with a pack train of llamas.  Evidently llamas do not like to lead and the first in line must be switched out every so often to lessen their stress.  Goats would not have that problem.  Each goat wants to be the leader.  When the goats and I are in the pen together, we walk as a herd.  I do not get to be the leader.  The girls push and jostle to be at the front, and one usually trots to go before me.  I don't mind following because I'm slower going up the hill than they, but it doesn't do to follow too closely.  Goats can and will drop a load of pellets as they walk.  What I take exception to is that one will pass me and then stop.  No reason.  She'll just stop.  When I'm loaded down with two milk buckets on the way back to the house, this is particularly irritating because I need the momentum as I huff and puff up the hill.

It was propitious that I watched a segment of The Barefoot Contessa before heading to the store for mozzarella to make Eggplant Parmesan for a shared dinner last night.  Ina Garten showed a recipe for mashed chickpea bruschetta.  I had all the fixings and decided to give it a try.  Quick, easy, inexpensive, and very tasty; it's a winner!

Pearl had so much fun yesterday morning that she tried the game again today.  One o'clock and there she was, squeaking her wake-up call.  Pet didn't want to participate and played 'possum.  It evidently wasn't as enjoyable without a reaction so Pearl went away.  She returned at 5:03 a.m.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.  Pet got up.  I'm not the leader.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You made me smile (as I often do when reading the blog) with the juxtaposition of a Curly, Moe, and Larry routine (ie: you and the goats walking as a herd with pellets dropping and goats stopping and one of the three of them surely walking right into the rear end of the stopped goat) and the elegant Eggplant Parmesan with the mashed chickpea bruschetta!