Wednesday, October 2, 2013

When I Sits

"When I works, I works hard.  When I plays, I plays hard.  And when I sits, I jes' sits."  My mother had this motto on her wall, and it has stuck in my head.  I do my work now in fits and starts with a lot of sitting in between.  Leaves on the deck were ankle deep again.  With just a light breeze yesterday, it seemed prudent to push the mountain around and off the deck.  If left to accumulate until the rains come, they would become as slick as (fill in the blank).  That was the big chore of the day.  Like dusting, it seemed an exercise in futility, as I know I'll have to do it again and again.  There are lots of leaves left on the trees and I know where they'll end up.  Spurred by an unusual burst of enthusiasm and a gorgeous day, I finished putting up the remaining pieces of bed frame as a decorative fence across the herb garden.  It's a little quirky, but I like it.  On a rare trip downstairs to the shop, I located the rasp I needed after opening just a few drawers and cabinets; cause for celebration as I have great difficulty finding anything in Steve's domain.  The door to the Taj was sticking and needed trimming just a bit.

Going out to tend to that chore, I found one of the tiny white Silkie hens was dying.  They are such dear little things.  I brought her into the house and laid her on a soft towel in the laundry room to ease her last journey.  This leaves me with four roosters and only two hens, one white, one black.  I may let the hens hatch another clutch of eggs in hopes of more females.  There are too many roosters as it is, but I cannot bring myself to dispatch any of them.

Cindy has come around and was first one into the barn last night.  She makes me think of the line in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail;" "I'm not dead yet!"

After tucking in the critters and dinner of fried eggplant, my work was done for the day and it was time to "jes' sit."  Eggplant was a contribution from Deb and Craig's garden; from Craig because he knows I love it; from Deb because she hates the stuff and brought four just to get rid of them.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I's say that "Quirky" is your middle name, yay for the herb garden fencing, yay for Cindy, awww, for the dear silkie, and so glad you got the bounty of eggplant!