Friday, October 4, 2013

Here And Now

Thinking I had perhaps touched on a thought previously, I went back and read some early entries this morning.  I couldn't find what I was looking for so it is possible still that I am repeating myself today.  That happens, and I ask for indulgence when I'm guilty.

When a nephew was young and visited often, he was never satisfied with anything in his life.  "I will be so happy when...," always thinking that happiness was just out of his reach.  My second husband was one of those who clung to the past, holding on to grudges and pain from long ago, and even the good times seemed over for him.  They helped formulate my philosophy that there are three categories:  the Today, Tomorrow, and Yesterday people.  Those who are continually looking backward or only forward cannot fully appreciate and take pleasure in the present.  I am not a Pollyanna, greeting every adversity with a sappy smile, but there are bright spots during the darkest days.  It was truly enjoyable to go back and read about the daily adventures here, and I look with anticipation at what might come next, but today, good, bad, or indifferent, is what I will deal with.  I make plans.  Of course I do, but have learned with time to be flexible; plans don't always work out.  I have memories, mostly wonderful, sometimes painful, but they do not override my life.  As I was writing yesterday about my favorite things, it struck me that they are all the small things that make my day, any day, my favorite.  I'm a Today person, living in the Here and Now.  I like it that way.

No comments: