Thursday, October 10, 2013

To-Do List

The weather is changing rapidly and that means the To-Do List gets a little longer.  Rain that threatened most of the day did not appear, so I've still got to water the plants, but it was chilly enough for the quilted flannel jacket that becomes part of my daily uniform as fall approaches.  I brought the first wagon loads of firewood up to the porch.  I couldn't bring myself to light the wood stove, but I did think about it.  Harold, the ironmonger, came by the other day just to visit.  We agreed that central heat is quite wonderful (ah, yes, I remember it well), but there's nothing like a wood fire to take the dampness from the air on a drizzling day.  Today the plan is to scrub out and empty Bessie's pool and store it in the feed barn.  I really don't want to open the feed barn because I know that Thing has been wreaking havoc in there in my absence.  Thing has claimed the barn as his domain and takes exception to any intrusion.  In a fit of pique, he throws things around and off shelves, tears up any bits of paper he can find, and makes a general mess of everything.  I've still got to wrap foam insulation around the standing water pipes.  While the rain passed us by, the high Sierras got snow yesterday.  Cold weather is just around the corner and I need to get some items crossed off the list.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

We got your rain, and I'm amazed that we here in Southern California, who just experienced Indian Summer, are told of cooler days to come, by none other than Mother Nature herself!