Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cheers

Like Cliff, Norm, and Frasier at Cheers, these birds were bellied up to the bar, sipping and chatting yesterday morning.  They and their friends are one reason I keep the trough topped off.  There have been occasions when the level has dropped and a bird has leaned over too far and toppled in; some I've been able to save, some not.

The birds were able to enjoy the sunshine in the morning and I made a trip to the feed store later while the cloud cover moved in.  Those seventy-five-pound bags of goat chow are a lot easier to unload when it's not raining.

It amuses me that, at this stage in my life, I've become a pole dancer.  When the Silkie pen was enlarged, the original framework was left in place, leaving a metal pole in the middle just as the ground slopes away.  To get from one side of the coop door to the other, it's easier to hold onto that pole and swing around.  I get a chuckle out of it, even if the boys (roosters) don't pay much attention.

The storm held off until after dark last night, but it's in full swing this morning, wind and rain beating on the windows.  This will be Twenty-Two's first experience with rain (he was still confined in the barn during the last storm).  They won't appreciate it, but all the goats can do with a good shower.  My neighbor to the south has been crushing grapes.  He's been throwing residual, sugar-laden stems over the fence for the kids and in their eagerness to get to the goodies they've been pelted and stained with sticky purple grape skins.  I must admit that the goats are a bunch of winos.  Cheers!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh the visuals this morn...the pole-dancin', bibbie-wearin' Hootchie Mama and her purple-stained caprine crew!! So...given their condition...do Nineteen and Twenty-Two "wether" the storm better than the others?

Kathy V said...

My grandfather always floated a board in the troughs and so do I. Gives creatures a way out and a place for the goldfish to hide. Did Kit learn that $20 word, caprine, from you?

Kathryn said...

Kit KNEW there HAD to be a word...and so she Googled it : )) I have, however, learned LOTS of $20 words from this blog. I think my favorite is still "abattoir!" Heck...some are even $50 words!! And Kathy, I LIKE the idea of the floating board.