Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Broken Drum

It was a day like a broken drum...you couldn't beat it (one of my mother's many sayings).  The Kids' timing was perfect, arriving just as I got back to the house with the milk.  The weather was fully cooperative as we went out to the the remnants of the garden, picking green beans and the lone pumpkin for us and some overripe tomatoes for the chickens.  Warm in the sun, cool in the shade, we stood and watched the chickens in both pens for awhile, laughing at their antics.  Deb and Craig hadn't been up since the last oak fell, so we wandered over that way while catching up on our news.  Farview worked its magic as we stood on the deck, just looking and listening to the peaceful surroundings.  They both work high-stress jobs and I could see them visibly relax as the hummingbirds hovered nearby.  We watched an excellent movie that ended just at the critters' bedtime, and then dinner.  I'd pay money for a broken drum like that.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I was hoping you had a day like that...and I'm guessing that you won't have to pay money, but that you will have another "broken drum day" today. Thanks to your mom, I now have a saying that I hope to be able to use many times in my life!!