Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Usual Suspects

Last night was another triumph for Joel and Judy at their semiannual holiday dinner.  From the first glimpse of the elegant tables to the last bite of delicious, traditional dishes, guests were treated to a delightful evening.  Hugs and kisses were handed around, as were wine bottles, in this gathering of old friends.  I had such a good time.

I had to pull my usual disappearing act.  It was too early to put the kids to bed before I left for the party, so I had to duck out and race home just before dinner was served.  By then it was close enough to sundown that no one gave me a hard time as I tucked them into coops and stalls.  I have to be careful to act casual and not rush around or the critters catch the vibes and balk.  Bessie Anne was a bit put out that I was leaving again and turner her face to the corner and wouldn't say goodbye.  Coming up the driveway, I discovered it isn't just mice who will play while the cat's away...a herd of ten or more deer were grazing and browsing their way across the front yard.  Instead of being embarrassed at getting caught, they acted as if I were the intruder.  They obviously thought I'd be gone for the evening and were going to brazen it out, not leaving until I walked almost into their midst.  Chores done and hurrying back, I was in time to fill my plate at the buffet and enjoy the company already at table.

The afternoon had been spent baking a cheesecake with fresh eggs and homemade goat cheese instead of ricotta or cottage cheese.  After years of experimentation, I've combined parts of three recipes into one I find very satisfactory, silky in texture and not too dense.  That was my contribution to dinner.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Bessie Anne probably had her head turned so she wouldn't give away the fact that HER guests were due any moment for her own party, and she almost got busted! She actually emailed me that she and Faye and the others had a grand time while you were gone - and Pearl and Frank stood guard to warn them when you were on your way back for the last time : )) So very glad you had a good day - now have another, please!