Thursday, October 27, 2011

Looking Forward

Squirrels, woodpeckers, and me.  We're all stocking our larders for winter.  In spring and summer, I so look forward as each fresh fruit and vegetable makes its appearance:  asparagus, rhubarb, artichokes, spring onions, strawberries, sweet corn, watermelon.  It's no secret that I am an advocate of eating local, eating seasonal, but the season for "fresh" is winding down.  After a spate of company, I found I'd run out of an indispensable staple, onions.  Rather than make the trek all the way down the hill to my favorite (cheaper) grocery for just the one item, I went up the road ten miles or so to a "local" store.  Big mistake.  They stock a number of specialty items not available in the bigger store and I found myself cruising the aisles and filling my cart.  I make most of my own bread and have had a devil of a time locating rye flour (bought two of those).  Warm gingerbread with rum-soaked raisins and chopped crystallized ginger is killer on a cold night; bought a pound of ginger so I can bake ahead and freeze.  I'd not been able to find the large, meaty dried lima beans I prefer (bought two of those); a big pot of limas and ham hocks is in my near future.  As long as I was in that section, the split peas for soup caught my eye (bought two).  I'm looking forward to a visit from Deb and Craig this weekend, and they are kind enough to pick up some bulk items at Costco for me.  I've put in an order for walnuts and pecans, getting ready for the annual Christmas baking.  The squirrels and I, both hoarding nuts.  Stocking up a bit at a time now saves a big grocery bill later.  I may bemoan soggy feet and frozen fingers later, but I am looking forward to winter meals.

Earthquakes are much in the news lately.  Last night we felt one here.  I didn't so much feel it as hear it...a quivering in the windows and items on the shelves.  Strangely enough, Bessie Anne did not seem affected; usually dogs are the first alarms during a temblor.  Checking the news this morning, this quake was centered above Lake Tahoe and was only a 4.-something; in California, that's next to nothing.  "Yup, that's an earthquake," and then you turn over and go back to sleep, and I did.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like you are stocked for sure, for those cold winter evenings! Like I've said before - it sounds like you run a mighty mean B & B!

P.S. I've heard that Kathy V has an award-winning lima bean recipe!!

Kathy V said...

Local store sounds like you did good. Things you will enjoy! At sundown, felt like a freeze is coming my way tonight.