Monday, October 17, 2011

Sonny Days

Two sons in two days...it's a boy bonanza!  (To the rest of the world, they are men; to me, they'll always be my boys.)  When you start a day laughing out loud before daybreak, you know it can only get better.  Just as in "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider," the sun came out and dried up all the rain before I had to start chores, but it sure was funny while it lasted.  Late getting down to the barn, my timing was exquisite.  Dave drove up while I was milking, on a mission to get firewood.  By the time I'd turned the last girl loose in the pen, Dave and Dolly had his truck bed filled to the gunnels.  That was her punishment for causing the rain that had delayed Joel and his crew from harvesting grapes.  Joel had called while the rain was still falling, also laughing and saying that the rainmaker's visa to the hill country was going to be cancelled.  By now, everyone has faith in Dolly's powers.

Work done, we were all free to enjoy the rest of the day (except, of course, Joel, who still had to go pick grapes).  Dolly decided to stay over one more night.  There were plenty of leftovers, so no one had to cook.  It had been such a long time between visits, it was wonderful to spend time with Dave, as it had been with Clay.  Like a sponge, I try to absorb all I can while my Kids are with me, holding the minutes for later during the "dry" spells.  It's a true statement that time flies when you're having fun, and this weekend just whizzed by.

3 comments:

Linda Cox said...

Tripple pun!

Kathryn said...

I am glad to see that you, the supreme word-master, still call them "the boys!" Having two myself, who are indeed men, I still refer to them as "the boys" when I am speaking of them in toto. I can almost feel your sponge action and I just grin knowing that you have gotten some of that action.

So, I guess Dolly should plan lots of visits when it is bone-dry in the heat of the summer so that you don't have to hand water for a spell, and then she can come during your rainy season too- no harm, no foul. Or she can continue like she is (maybe not exactly when Harvest takes place) because it's ALWAYS good to start the day with a laugh!!

Kathy V said...

Would Dolly consider a second career as a rainmaker? I could set her up with some dates?