Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Get A Job

After days of sitting on my duff like Lady Astor's horse (enjoying every minute), it did feel good to be productive again yesterday.  Before going to work, I was taking my morning constitutional around the deck and looked over at the side yard.  It's been an itch demanding to be scratched.  Tree Guy had burned the brush pile, so that part was mostly done.  Dennis and Dave took truckloads of most of the smaller cut wood, and that helped clean up some.  Nothing can be done about the huge pile of rounds waiting to be split, but the rest of that yard was a mess.  Accompanied (and supervised) by Bess and the cats, I put everything ready for the wood stove in one pile, burnable limbs that still need to be cut to size in another, rolled a few loose rounds over to the splitting stack, and then restocked the burn pile with all the residual brush.  There's much work left to be done, but at least it looks neat and tidy now.  I had to apologize to the chickens and goats for being a bit late getting their breakfast.

Tree Guy showed up while I was in the barn, evidently also spurred by ambition, and set off a big bonfire with a couple of the brush piles down in the new section of the goat pen (the girls have been locked out of there for days).  While tending the fire, he multi-tasked with the chain saw, bucking fallen limbs and cutting them to length.

Pushing away the looming spectre of housework, I went out in the afternoon, fired up the mower and took down the star thistle in the west field, down the driveway and the road front, and finished up by mowing the back yards.  It's almost worth letting it get straggly just for the satisfaction when it all looks so nice.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Wow, good day indeed. I don't even keep my teeny tiny yard looking ship shape and you made me tired just explaining your workday! I bet the looming spectre of housework can wait...unless Bess and Frank and Pearl are finicky about their hearth and home. And if so...strap a rag on each tail and teach them to dust!