Friday, September 14, 2012

Irritations

One or more night birds have taken over the territory.  Unlike the owls who normally work the area after dark, hunt in pairs, and have a mournful "who-whooo" cry, this latest bunch make a sound akin to fingernails scraping down a blackboard and they make this sound incessantly from dusk to dawn until I want to scream, "Shut up!  Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!"  I was ready to blame screech owls, and with that name, why not, but found out it couldn't be them.  The most likely candidate is a nighthawk.  I truly don't understand how these birds could possibly catch anything.  Their constant yelling is like a deer hunter carrying a tambourine and beating on a drum.

I did not realize that my second childhood would be accompanied by talcum powder.  I am irritated in more ways than one by heat rash in inconvenient and inappropriate places.  They don't call it prickly heat for nothing.

I don't like but understand the rising cost of food.  What is really irritating is that what used to be a five-pound bag of sugar is now four pounds at the same price.  The size of the container and the price have not changed for two pounds of coffee, but the label shows it only contains twenty-four ounces now.

There!  I feel better now.

No comments: