Tuesday, January 17, 2017

No View From Farview

At least the fog didn't sneak in as a surprise yesterday.  This photo was taken in the same direction and at approximately the same time as the one from the day before, and I can only assume there is a sunrise back there somewhere because you sure couldn't prove it in this one.  Temperature in the 30s and the fog was thicker and so damp that moisture dripping from the trees sounded like rain.  Anyone with curly hair will understand what happens on a day like this.  My hair takes on a life of its own, frizzing out of control.  By the time I got back in the house, I could easily have been mistaken for Albert Einstein.

It's bad enough that I have to put cold hands on warm(ish) goats, first-in-line Inga especially.  Knowing what's coming, she starts shivering before I even sit down.  I, too, pay the penalty.  I have a "frozen" finger (won't bend) as a result of a botched surgery years ago.  Unable to curl up for warmth with its companions, it sticks out alone as I'm milking and becomes, in the literal sense, painfully frozen.  Naught for it but to keep on working.

As it did the day before, the sun came out in the afternoon and I was able to make a run for town.  There was no black ice on the roads as there had been and the biggest potholes had been temporarily patched.  There were enough smaller potholes to keep it interesting.  Because of the late start, it was a hit-and-run excursion, grabbing only the essentials on the list and heading home.  I made it up the drive as the sun was setting and got the girls, big and little, tucked in before dark.

Rain is due tonight.  Sigh.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad you escaped the black ice, but the fog is indeed eerie! We have been without fog, and certainly our rains have been NOTHING like yours, but native hillsides have greened up and we are due for either 5 days of rain, or 2, wind, and 2 which, as you know, is quite unusual for coastal Southern California, and we have already had more than our normal share. I hear musings that perhaps our drought is about at an end...yippee.