Thursday, July 15, 2021

Different

Michael is...come on, go with me here...a horse of a different color.  I've had any number of dogs in my lifetime.  All good, well-behaved dogs, each with a distinct personality.  Michael is in a class all his own, and living with him has taken some getting used to.  I don't know if it is the  training he received to be come an ESA (Emotional Support Animal) or his own reserved nature.  He seems to have no interest in anything but me.  Oh, he'll lift his head at a new sound or a car driving up, but that's it.  He seems perfectly happy to walk at my slow pace, and never, ever pulls on the leash.  If I've had to leave home without him (which I try not to do), he doesn't rush to greet me on my return.  "Oh, you''re back," and goes back to sleep.  He likes people, walking like royalty among his subjects, but doesn't seem to require the attention.  When I get a small lick on the hand, I feel like I've been given the Academy Award, and my heart swells when he comes for a butt scrub or a head rub...it's not often.

Michael came to me at exactly the right time in my life.  I didn't think I wanted or needed another dog.  I hope I fill whatever needs he has, as he has mine.  We're a good pair.  We're just different.

I'm happy to say that this morning is much cooler.  We're oh so ready for a break.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: