Friday, July 9, 2021

Whole Lotta Shakin'

 Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On, Jerry Lee Lewis, 1957.

Michael and I were sitting on the porch at 3:50 yesterday afternoon when we felt it.  The house groaned and shook and I could hear glassware tinkling inside.  Michael just lifted his head.  Yup, that's an earthquake.  Down in the valley they were not uncommon, but pretty rare up here.  I waited, but didn't feel any aftershocks.  Then I got a text from my friend in Fiddletown who said she thought her propane tank had exploded.  She's south of me and, according to the news, the quake was felt more farther to the south.  A little later, Deb called, saying she felt it down in Woodland, over seventy miles away.  Holy Toledo, it was a big one.  Watching the news, they said there were at least forty 'shifts' in the earth over in Nevada!  From the last I heard, there have been no fatalities and little damage other than rock slides on the roads.  Californians take quakes pretty much in stride, but outlanders get pretty shaken by the shaking.  Having seen what damage these tremors can cause, I'd say we lucked out with this one.  Makes for interesting conversations, though.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: