Saturday, July 24, 2021

Rambling

There have been times in my life when things became so overwhelming that I figuratively pulled the covers over my head and 'dropped out' for awhile.  The Vietnam War was one of those times.  I read and watched everything in the news until I couldn't stand it.  I couldn't do anything about it so I quit watching, reading, and listening and devoted my energies to my family and friends.

When the pandemic began, I watched in horror as the death toll rose...and rose...and rose.  Seeing refrigerated trucks outside of overfllled hospital morgues brought me to tears.  I'm aware we are experiencing another surge, but I don't keep a daily tally now.  I can't.

January Sixth was a day of infamy, something out of a political nightmare.  I was glued to the television for hours every day, trying to make sense of the mayhem brought by Americans against their own.  I couldn't.  I still can't.  Now I stick to local news once a day in the morning, period.

I'm learning to cope with the changes in my life that age and illness have wrought.  It seems the only thing I'm responsible for now is my attitude.  It needs a major overhaul, and I'm working on it.

Michael is snoring in the doorway, Celeste is off somewhere crooning to her piggies, and Ralph is lightly patting my shoulder for attention.  All's right in my world.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: