Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Catching a Break

The current storm seems to have spent itself on Sunday, and yesterday was just gloomy, overcast, and drizzling.  At any other time, it would have been considered awful weather, but given recent circumstances, catching this break made it a great day!  The full moon was shining brightly this morning.  I wish the clouds had parted last night so I could have seen the winter solstice eclipse, which hasn't happened since the 1600s (missed that one, too).  My Kids, like all small kids, were sure that I was two days older than dirt.  One child, who shall remain nameless, asked me if Juliette Lowe (founder of the Girl Scouts) had been my troop leader, and another nameless Kid wanted to know how old I'd been when they fought the Civil War.  Time does change perspective.  My dad, in his seventies, was talking about "some young guy," and when I asked just how old the "young guy" was, Daddy said, "Oh, probably fifty-seven or so." 

Privacy was a big issue when I was a child.  I was allowed to open mail that was (rarely) addressed to me, to occupant or resident.  At Christmas, I could open cards only if they included "and family."  This the first year as an adult that I have not sent out Christmas cards, but I can tell from my mailbox that I am not the only one skipping that tradition this year.  The holiday wishes are there, and I am sending them to one and all..."and family."  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah...whatever the holiday and to whomever you spend it with...my very best to everyone from Farview Farm. 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

9 years ago I was babysitting and my "charge" wanted to rent a movie. I was new to town and needed to apply for the movie rental pass. When typing my abbreviated birthdate info into the system, the teenage doofus said, "I'm sorry to ask, but were you born in 1847 or 1947???" I just looked at him and said, "If I were A HUNDRED AND FIFTY FOUR, I'd have more wrinkles than this!!!" (Ya gotta love Ohio edjookashun!)

And Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear Mistress of of Farview Farm!!