Sunday, April 17, 2011

Birds of a Feather

Trying to get a good photo of the chicks is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  Those little boogers move like mercury!  There are three white, one black, and the two who came out speckled like quail are morphing into grey with dark heads.  I haven't yet been able to tell male from female because I can't get them to hold still long enough to check their combs. 
If I wait until the right moment, not too early before sundown, all the Silkies will put themselves to bed and save me the effort of herding the little pinballs up the ramp into the Taj.  Some people are clock watchers...I keep an eye on the sun.









Hearing an unknown bird call, I looked up to find the oriole has returned.  That flash of brilliant color is simply breath taking.  Luckily, he stuck around and was still in the oak when Dolly arrived.  I do like to show off.

The weather cooperated fully and my long-time friend and I were able to sit out on the deck in the warm afternoon breezes and play catch up.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

What a treat to wake up and see the glorious pictures and have a blog. Even though I think you said that you have moved your computer, I wasn't sure if Dolly would be staying and therefore there would be no blog. You DO know that withdrawals can cause headaches, and you wouldn't want us to have theviewfromfarviewfarm withdrawal headaches, would ya??? And for a farmer or a rancher, I would bet that watching the sun is the time-honored way of doing it for sure. The animals sure as heck don't know what the clock says. OK, you don't exactly "farm" and you don't exactly "ranch," at least from my understanding of those words - is there a word for what you do???? You aren't a "raiser," but then again, maybe you are. Although you do have grazers, so maybe you ARE a rancher...and I'm not just trying to be funny - this actually has made me wonder!! OK, I hope you have another glorious day, and I'm so glad that the Dolly-spell has been broken - or outsmarted!