Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Day In June

"What is so rare as a day in June?  Then, if ever, come perfect days."  James Russell Lowell nailed it, and yesterday was one of those days.  Warm in the sun, cool in the shade...enough work to feel useful, not enough to tire.  It was a day to savor and appreciate.

There is a saying in the theater, "Never let 'em see you sweat."  Working with goats, the saying should be, "Never let 'em see you hurry."  I was late getting to the barn and wanted to finish up before it got hot, but I've learned from past experience to put on the brakes and slow down around the girls.  They are incredibly fast to pick up on vibes, and trying to rush is a guarantee of udder chaos (groan...another goat pun).  It truly becomes a state of "the hurrier I go, the behinder I get," as no one will go where they should or behave as they should, and the whole program gets delayed.  Go slow and stick with the routine, and it all moves on apace.  The girls have developed their own pattern regarding the new pen.  They go in and graze there during the morning hours, but return to the old section in the afternoon and are waiting by the gate for me in the evening.  For whatever reason, Poppy will not go with the herd, but bawls for them and then lies down to watch them from "her" side of the fence.  I don't know why she won't go through the gate to join the others.  She'll either figure it out, or not.

The Lady's Mantle got potted, and everything was watered.  It was so pleasant out on the deck, so pleasant to be outside, period.  It was one of those rare June days.

2 comments:

Cally Kid said...

Sunday in Colorado has been nice. Catching up on the blog and watching the final lap of NASCAR. Boyer put on a good show of it. I should be outside in the sunny weather yet relaxing is rather nice. Always have been facinated with lizards so I like the idea of your adopting it as your totem. Looking forward to the next "chickter" or chapter in the chicklets progression. We'll miss you at reunion next week but you are always on our minds.

Kathryn said...

Ah yes...a rare day in June - to savor and to appreciate. I KNOW what you mean - I had one of those days too! I, too, got to sit outside and visit - kind of like letting the world slow down and forgetting all of the outside cares and worries. Then to top it off, I got to savor the fresh asparagus that my aunt had harvested from her garden that morning, and enjoyed the first episode of a DVD that I had been wanting to see. A grand day indeed!! Hope your memories of such a rare and perfect day last as long as mine! And here's to just the right amount of sun and shade.