Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yes, We Have No Bananas

I wouldn't ordinarily think of bananas as a trigger for memories, but it turns out they can be.  Years back, there was a banana getting dark and speckled on the counter.  Too soft to enjoy eating out of hand, I thought to make banana bread, and I'd found a recipe for banana bread pudding that sounded good.  But it called for more than one banana.  My friend Doris was running the little mom-and-pop store in Fair Play then and sometimes stocked fresh produce.  Yup, she had a bunch of soft bananas.  I bought them and set about making the banana bread for the pudding.  But then I had bananas left over, so I made a banana cream pie.  This was all on the same day, and there were only Steve and me to eat it all.  I called two couples down in the valley who were always up for impromptu invitations and asked them for "dinner."  Thinking that they'd turn yellow from just bananas, I hurried and made an apple pie for a little variety.  There's a saying, "Life is short; eat dessert first."  I'm not sure what the ladies thought, but there were three very happy men when they found out that all there was for dinner was dessert!

There's one more banana on the counter.  Hmmm.

2 comments:

Jennie Bolen said...

Oh boy, banana bread, Mmmmm. My family loves banana bread, it dissapears way too quickly though. It's one of those things I make, that if I'm not careful I won't get any. Same goes with guacamole. I make a big bowl of it, put it on the counter with some chips, come back 15 minutes later to enjoy some myself and it's gone!

Kathryn said...

Peel it and freeze it, and then do the same several times until you have enough for a dessert, thaw, bake...and then call Jennie, Mark and me...give Mark and me a little lead time so that you and Jennie won't have licked the plate clean, and we'll be there!!