Friday, August 26, 2011

H Is For...

Here we go again...on High Alert.  Coming back into the house after stacking wood before barn chores yesterday, I found a message from my neighbor telling me that, once again, her dogs were on the loose.  I did appreciate the warning, but I hate the panicky feeling it generated as her dogs are known killers.  The flock is not free-ranging now, but hearing a chicken squawk or Bessie Anne bark while I'm stuck down in the milking room sets my heart to pounding, wondering what's going on up by the house.  Later on, I heard dogs down at my neighbor's and assumed her pack had returned.  Not feeling entirely certain, I called in the early afternoon and one of her sons informed me that they were still looking for the escapees.  One of the things on Tree/Fence Guy's To-Do List was to put a hog panel across the big farm gate to the new pen.  It had been put on the back burner because I'm home with the goats in the daytime and they go into the barn at night, so I wasn't too worried about coyotes.  A pack of dogs slaughtered an entire flock of sheep just around the corner in the past, so I put in an emergency call to Fence Guy and told him that task needed to be moved to Priority One.  He has a soft spot for the girls and throws leafy branches from the oak into their pen for a treat.  He came right away and secured the gate.  I still don't know if the dogs have returned home.

Here we go again.  I thought I'd fixed the vacuum cleaner, but when I really needed it yesterday because Arden was coming for early dinner and a movie, it was totally kaput.  She's a good friend and overlooked the burrs on the carpet, and I so enjoyed her visit.

Here we go again.  With the many delays throughout the day, I was racing to get myself cleaned up before Arden got here.  With minutes to spare, I jumped into the shower and my vision immediately became blurry...what the heck?!  It took me a minute to realize I was standing under the running water with my glasses on.  Duh.  Chalk up another one of Bo's blunders. 

2 comments:

Jennie Bolen said...

I'm loving the ABC blogs. You're such a funny lady!

Kathryn said...

Jennie...shall we say that H is for H-ilarious? Or she's a H-oot? The blog sure makes ME H-appy!