Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Open Wide

Another mouth to feed, but thank goodness I'm not the one who has that chore.  Yesterday afternoon I finally decided to start moving mountains...the mountains of pulled weeds...and went to get the yard cart out by the feed barn.  There was no sound or movement to get my attention, but I'm always checking my surroundings.  Looking up, there was this tiny beak, wide open, over the lip of the swallow's nest.  I know there were shells of at least two eggs, so wonder where the other baby is and if it lived.  I'm glad I'd figured out the camera feature on my cell phone; it took a bit longer to find out how to send the photo to my computer.

Stuffing the cart and piling it high, I managed to get two piles of weeds in and hauled down to the north slope and dumped.  The cart is heavy even when empty, and pulling it back up the hill was enough for me to call it quits for the day.

The UPS truck came trundling up the drive later on and The Man In Brown brought my new bibbies!  Stiff as boards, the first thing was to get them into the washer and out on the line.  It will take a number of washings before I can walk and not crackle.  The manufacturers seem to feel that hip size requires leg length; 'tain't necessarily so.  One can acquire a lot of alfalfa and foxtails in a four-roll cuff (okay, I'm somewhat vertically challenged), and I'm determined to pull out the sewing machine and hem these to length before I wear them.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a short and oh-so-thin little person from China determined your leg length for you...and added a lot of sizing! We can buy jeans that aren't stiff as boards - wonder what they are doing with your work-wear...infusing them with fiberglass for longer lasting-ness? Well at least you won't have to go around in your skivvies anymore! Too bad someone with some earth-moving equipment can't just shove those weeds over the cliff, but I guess the exercise is good for you??? Good luck with the weed pile - hope you get it moved before more weeds decide to inhabit the lavender bed! That might just be a new definition for irony if new ones have the gaul to sprout before the heap is, well...unheaped!