Sunday, August 14, 2011

Waiting Game

It didn't seem prudent to do laundry yesterday when Tree Guy was due to work on the fallen oak.  Flapping sheets would have impeded his progress and flying sawdust would have negated my own efforts.  So I waited...and waited.  About two o'clock, TG drove up with...get ready for it...branches from his trees to throw onto my burn pile!  Talk about taking coal to Newcastle.  Mrs. TG had her own Honey-Do list and TG had been doing yard work and pruning trees at his house.  They live close by and it only made sense to dispose of the greenery here (what difference will a few more branches make?), but it still made me laugh.  When Sons had dug post holes for the new fence line, they had inadvertently buried the hose used to water the memorial trees in the south pasture, and buried it well.  In the summer heat, I had not had the energy nor inclination to dig it out, but those trees needed water.  TG took time to free the hose for me.  He said he'd be back today to work on the oak, so laundry will have to wait another day.

Just as it is with small people children, everything now has to be timed around Twenty-Two's feeding schedule.  After Tree Guy left, it was time for the baby's bottles, and then I had to make a quick run to town so I could get back for the evening feeding.  It seems to me I'd just bought a pair, but the soles had let go on my barn shoes and were flapping like clown feet, so there was nothing for it but to make the trip.

Pearl has been playing the Inagin-Outagin Flanagan game all morning.  I'll bet I've gotten up eight times in twenty minutes to open the door for her.  There is a convenient door to the deck in the bedroom, but then she'll want to come in through the laundry room.  Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

I hope Tree Guy comes to work today.  I think I'll feel better once the remains have been removed.  Seeing that beautiful oak lying there is depressing.  And I've got laundry to do.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I can just picture it - from the perspective of little child who was watching from a distance and did NOT know that you had a hungry baby goat, OR that you had flapping soles..."Mommy, look at that funny lady, she has GIANT baby bottles and she is walking like the kids on the beach with fins/flippers on their feet!!"

Here's to water for memorial trees, more fire wood and less fallen oak, non-flapping shoes, and flapping sheets!!