Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thwarted

Lest it be thought I do nothing but torment my plants, this pennyroyal stays upright, green, and blooming to save my tattered reputation.  The bees and hummers love the pennyroyal, which has a lovely peppermint scent.  This leads me to a particular thought.  One can buy clover honey, orange honey, lavender honey, et cetera, delicately flavored with the flowers from which the bees harvested.  The onion chives and garlic chives on the deck are budding up and ready to bloom.  Like all alliums, they will have beautiful globes made up of many tiny florets, which the bees will also visit.  Garlic honey?  Lavender honey with overtones of onion?  Just wondering.

Another question thrown out to the universe.  Why is it that when a pair of jeans (or in this case, bibbies) gets just to that point of perfection, washed and worn to a softness akin to suede, they rip and/or disintegrate?  My friend Judy, who loves to go shopping and is up on the latest fashions, tells me that down on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, people pay big bucks for artfully ripped jeans.  Uh huh.  As with my shoes, I have/had one pair of go-to-town bibbies and two pair for work, the plan being that when one of the work bibbies gave up the ghost, I'd get another and start the rotation.  The plan went to pot when both work bibbies fell apart at the same time, legs in shreds and rips in the bibs so I'm in danger of losing the whole thing.  Donning the only pair left, I...yes...I went to town (which I admit wasn't such a hardship as the truck has air-conditioning).  I also needed a particular clip to hold the linchpin for the trailer to the lawn tractor.  The stores which have been my mainstays for bibbies no longer keep them stocked, and as for the clip which probably costs twenty-five cents, three stores only sold them in a five-dollar set with the linchpin, which I didn't need.  Coming home empty-handed (but looking spiffy), I ordered two new pair on line.  Until they're delivered, I'll just have to hope that no one comes visiting on laundry day when my one and only set of bibbies is on the line.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I've not been to Rodeo Drive, but yes, torn jeans are SOLD, and suckers buy them...and then wear them...and then look stupid to those of us old enough to know that torn clothes are what you get when they are old and well-worn, or accidentally ripped!! Now mind you, it has been orchestrated in such a fashion that the warp is gone and the woof is left, but they are torn, nonetheless...and probably cost a mint! Heck, just regular jeans cost a mint, if bought in the "right" store. Glad your fruitless shopping spree came with cool air, though!

Cally Kid said...

I have this vision of a fashion opportunity for you. Growing up in the 50s and 60s I can see colorful strings and leather lacing the rips and tears back into shape. Your creativity would lend itself well to add additional far-style decorating. Wind up that wool on your spinner thingie and add natural, handmade collars for neck, sleeves and cuffs. Every one will be a "One of a Kind". Use the internet to auction the Farview Farm Fantastic Fashions (wwww.ffff.com or www.fafafafa.com). You'll be scrounging old farm duds off your mountain friends and neighbors. Now, let's think about the old boots and shoes.....Of course, I'll want a small royalty for the marketing idea and worldwide promotion I'll be compelled to tackle.

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a plan, Mark!!! You know the shee-shee types - anything that is retro or funk will do, and I'm sure Bo could make the stuff look funky for sure. Actually, Bedazzled Bibbies might just be the new thing for a Hilton or a Kardashian!!! You may be onto something!