Sunday, August 28, 2011

J Is For...

J was Just about driving me nuts!  I went to sleep browsing through J words as if through a dictionary flea market, picking some up and discarding them all, and woke up still hunting through the J bins.  Jewel kept catching my eye.  Farview abounds with jewels and gemstones.  Diamonds in a diadem could not sparkle more than sunlight caught on fresh snow or in a drop of dew in a spider web.  Emeralds and rubies flash as the hummers dart around the feeders.  The goats' eyes are amber and Frank's are turquoise, while Bessie's are the molasses brown of topaz.  Blue jays are sapphires and crows are onyx.  Amethysts in varying shades are everywhere in the lavender, pennyroyal, and licorice mint.  Eggs are spheres of alabaster.  I live in a veritable jewelry box, surrounded by beauty and true wealth.

The all-clear has sounded.  My neighbor called last evening to say her dogs had finally returned home, so we can come off high alert (until the next time).

Rising temperatures have taken the starch out of my ambitions.  When I should have been making preparations for my guest next weekend, a good part of yesterday was spent hiding out in the bedroom with the window air-conditioner.  Going down to the barn is like walking into a sauna and I come out dripping; "glowing" doesn't even begin to cover it when one is pouring sweat.  This has been one of the mildest summers in my memory, but that will not stop me from complaining when it's 92 in the house...that's Just darned hot!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

92 in the house??? I would be a pitiful puddle on the floor - with not one ounce of starch! Mild? MILD? You are J-OKING! One woman's mild is another woman's misery. However...I LOVE your jewel box - thank you for opening the lid for us so that we can also partake of the beauty within.

Kathryn said...

And J-oy...we must NEVER forget about Joy! Someone posted on Facebook to CHOOSE JOY and I love it and will try to remember it when faced with adversity...for, as a wise woman I know likes to say, "Life is ALL about CHOICES!"