Sunday, August 7, 2011

What's Cookin'?

Hot though it might be in the barn at milking time, this has been a relatively mild summer.  When temperatures soar in the triple digits and no air-conditioning, I neither expect nor want company.  Therefore it was a double pleasure yesterday with a visit from Deb and Craig and a high of eighty-nine.  They brought some wasabi corn chips that were a perfect compliment to the chilled soup I served for lunch.  I've been asked to include some recipes in this journal, and summertime is a good time for
WHITE GAZPACHO
3 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, cut in chunks
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 cup sour cream
Put all but the sour cream into a blender and whirl until silky smooth.  Add sour cream and pulse until blended.  Chill until icy cold.  Can garnish with any green herb, or just a sprinkle of black pepper.
Serves four.

Deb and Craig have started their first vegetable garden and are flushed with success.  Their herbs are doing particularly well, and they brought sage, oregano, and basil to share.  I traded them some thyme from my front yard.  Knowing they are perfectionists, I could see their orderly garden in my mind's eye and was a little embarrassed to take them out to my catch-as-catch-can vegetable patch, but needed peas for a dish I was making for dinner.  They picked peas while I pulled turnips.  Evidently Craig does not need fair warning before being served a turnip, and I sent a bunch home with them.  Shelling peas together in the kitchen later, I hadn't realized neither of them had ever had a fresh pea.  English peas and lima beans just aren't sold in grocery stores anymore...sugar peas, yes, but they aren't the same.  Enjoying the texture and taste at dinner, they both were enthusiastic and said they would add peas to their garden next year.  We might be starting a trend here.

Deb and Craig came down to the barn to meet Twenty-Two when it was time for his bottle(s).  He's a heart stealer, for sure.  We also inspected the chicken pens.  They have a proprietary interest in the Silkies, as they started that flock in the first place, and also built the Taj.

All good things come to an end, and any visit with my Kids ends too soon, but it was a good day.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

It sounds like it was not only a good day, but a GREAT day for sure!

Daphne said...

Hi there! I've met you once at Craig and Deb's wedding but as you know that was many years ago. I work with Craig and wanted to thank you so much for the yummy goat cheese and eggs you've sent home with them (and they've shared with me). I am really really enjoying all of it. I plan on making some of this soup this week as I have a bazillion cucumbers from this week's harvest. Thank you thank you! Great blog too! :)