Thursday, November 3, 2011

"...and Ham"

Dr. Seuss must have been inspired by Araucana chickens when he wrote Green Eggs and Ham.  Slowest starters of the lot, my Araucana pullets have finally begun to lay and I picked up the first green egg last night.  The lighter buff egg on the right came from one of the Barred Plymouth Rock hens (maybe Pick-Me-Up Peggy) and the deeper rose-colored egg on the left is from a Rhode Island Red.

At risk of being tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail by those who demand and receive a higher price for brown eggs in the store, there is veritably no difference in taste or nutrition between white and brown or other colored eggs.  They simply come from different breeds of chickens.  I'm not going to address the virtues of "organic" eggs, but will have to admit to a chuckle when I read a carton that advertised eggs from vegetarian chickens.  Let that chicken have snatched one bug from the air or worm from the ground and that claim is lost.  (Or maybe that only applies to vegan hens.)  Chickens are natural omnivores and, given the opportunity, will hunt down a wee mousie, lizard or frog and lick their chicken lips afterward.  They seem to consider those the ultimate chicken dinner.

Regardless, I just think it's fun to see a bucket or carton filled with pre-colored eggs.  I agree with Sam-I-Am...we like green eggs and ham!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well I'll be dipped...I've seen a small robin's-egg-blue egg, but never has this city girl seen (or even been aware of) a pre-colored green egg, and because of that, I didn't make the connection with Seuss's ham! Once again I learn something new every day!!

Kathy V said...

Vegetarian chickens? No such thing. They would take care of that with their own beaks with disasterious results.