Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Light and Dark

I can hear my dad's voice saying, "You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope!"  I'm still having trouble adjusting to Daylight Savings Time, waking up at four-thirty (DST) and wishing to go to bed at eight-thirty at night.  Yesterday was beautiful and sunny during the what seemed like very brief daylight hours, and the bench on the deck drew me like a magnet.  In the latest bag of books I'd been gifted, I found an old Dean Koontz book, copyright 1980, and my little entourage and I went out to soak up some rays.  I'd not read a Koontz book for many years.  He really is a master of suspense thrillers, but what struck me about Whispers is the parallel between the very real economic situation and social upheaval at the time in the story and currently.  It seems that wheel keeps turning.

Kathy V. suggested Little Red Hen as a name for Pick-Me-Up Peggy's friend. That comes from a children's story we evidently both remember, in which an industrious chicken asks her barnyard companions to participate in the raising of grain and through the process of turning it into a loaf of bread.  They all declined until the Little Red Hen asked, "Who will help me eat this bread," and then all hands (paws) went up.  She told them that since they had not been willing to help with the work, they would not get the reward, and she ate it all up by herself.  There's a parallel with modern society here, too, I think.  All that being said, I'm leaning more toward Jealous Jane for my own little red hen.  Last night, Peggy again claimed her spot in my arms.

2 comments:

Kathy V said...

You can stay up as late as 8:30? I think Jane is a good name. The parable of the Little Red Hen does resonate. Cold this am. colder tomorrow.

Kathryn said...

8:30 pm - 4:30 am - that works...8 hours. Your only problem is that it ISN'T Daylight Savings Time anymore - we are back on Pacific Standard Time, but like you said, who cares, as no one at Farview wears watches. Oops, I guess some of the "Guys" are on schedules. Oh well - you will adjust...or not!