Friday, February 17, 2012

Satisfaction Guaranteed

After what seemed like weeks of being housebound due to either weather or projects, when the day turned warm yesterday afternoon, Bessie Anne, Pearl and I went out to do some work.  (Frank had put up a "Do Not Disturb" sign while he napped in a pool of sunshine in the house.)  The wild grasses that had moved into the front walkway are deceptive.  What looks like a small fistful above ground will have a tough root mass the size of a football underneath and must be dug out with a fork and the dirt shaken off.  It was a time-consuming chore, but it was so nice to be outside again.  Bess moved from one patch of freshly turned earth to another.  Pearl played with the long fronds in the growing weed pile, sometimes trying to catch a clump as I tossed it over.  (She can't catch any better than I.)  I go nowhere alone, and by the time my little entourage and I had hauled the last wagon load over to the burn pile, I had worked up a sweat.  I had earned a cold beer and the little kids had gotten bored.  We all sat on the porch as the sun lowered and looked with satisfaction on the cleared walkway.  I'd grown used to the wild and woodsy look, and had forgotten how really nice it is when cleaned up.  It felt so darned good to get out and do something physical.

Something else that was so darned good was the Bubble and Squeak I made for dinner.  Leftover fried cabbage from the night before mixed with sauteed onions and mashed potatoes, all crisped up around the edges in a little butter.  Yum.

It was a day destined for satisfaction.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a perfect day indeed!