Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sexy Season

Can we talk?  Everywhere I look, some creature or other is involved in the mating ritual.  The first robins arrived yesterday, and it was like the procreation starting gun going off .  I know that's what is making the girls so cranky in the goat pen and why the Silkie boys are getting territorial.  Over twenty turkeys gathered under the oak outside the kitchen, the males fluffed out with tails spread, each trying to outdo the other with their feathered finery to entice the females into their harem.  Leap year or not, it's ladies' choice in the turkey world.

Do schools still have Sadie Hawkins' Day dances, I wonder?  When I was a Kid, those were the girl-asks-boy dances, a la "Li'l Abner," a cartoon in the funny papers.  Daisy Mae in her short shorts was the prototype for actresses like Ellie Mae in "The Beverly Hillbillies" and Daisy Dukes in "The Dukes of Hazzard."  She was desperately in love with Li'l Abner, but he always managed to avoid her invitations.  Strange as it may seem now, there actually was a time when "nice" girls didn't call boys, and certainly didn't invite them on a date.  Unless it was Leap Year!

After waiting all day for the NASCAR race (said to run at nine, but didn't until four), it was a doozy!  Grateful for the capability of replaying scenes, I had to spend time in the kitchen, listening and running back to the living room for a quick look.  I'd felt so guilty about having nothing but cookies for dinner the night before, I made a creamy chicken and vegetable soup last night.  It was perfect for a day that had had flurries of snow outside.  I restocked the woodpile on the porch and the house was toasty.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I can almost hear your turkeys singing, "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my tail...!