Friday, June 26, 2015

Audience Participation

"Little Tommy Tucker sings for his supper..." so goes the nursery rhyme.  I don't make my guests sing, but often they do participate in getting dinner on the table.  It wasn't so long ago that Arden had to make her own pizza.  Others have learned the art of rolling out homemade pasta.  The Kids once had a production line going to make dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped with bacon for appetizers.  Last evening I had everything ready when Camille and Arden arrived and set them the task of rolling enchiladas with beef and onions, chopped black olives, and lots of cheese.  Dining together is a communal affair, and begins at the stove.

On what seemed like the hottest day so far, I'd also baked those tart-sweet lemon bars for dessert.  You've got me with any recipe that starts with "lemon."  Cleaning house in the heat made me wonder if I weren't addled, but it was too late to call off the invitation.  Sharing a meal and the company of friends was worth it all.

It was a good day. 

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh yum! My mom's enchilada recipe calls for ground meat and then chopped green onions and diced black olives...sounds similar and soooo good! Fun to see your friends in the blog!