Monday, September 13, 2021

Nostalgia

Oh, I still watch cooking shows, but not with the same verve as in the past.  I used to think "Oh, So-and-so would like that!,"  or "Not on a bet."  I have two bookcases full of cookbooks and a folder chock full of loose recipes garnered over the years, all gathering dust.  I don't cook anymore, not even for myself. and my last Thanksgiving with the Kids before Covid was KFC.  That's just pitiful.  I could be drummed out of the kitchen!

Tucked in among the Julia Child books and so many others, is a small black notebook in which I started writing recipes when I was first married to the Kids' dad.  Some were from my mother, but not many.  Even back in the day I knew she wasn't a very good cook.  She excelled at baking pies, but I think she had maybe five spices in her cupboard.  She cooked midwestern bland (no offense intended), and we ate out frequently.

Not long ago, my son Larry's lady asked for my recipe for Beef Stroganoff.  Maybe Larry is also feeling nostalgic.  What with the fires and all, I didn't get around to finding that little black book until just the other day.  It's a fairly simplistic recipe as written, and if I were ever to make it again, I'd make a few changes.  Take it for what it's worth.

BEEF STROGANOFF

Cut 1-1/2 lb. sliced round steak into thin strips, dust with flour and a little pepper.  In a large skillet, brown meat in margarine.  Add 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 minced garlic clove, and cook until softened.  Stir in 1 can beef broth, cover and simmer about 1 hour.  Stir in 1 cup sour cream over low heat for 5 minutes.  Serve over buttered noodles.

Now I'd use fresh mushrooms and quite a lot more onion and garlic.  Back in the day, I was cooking for a family of big, healthy eaters and would have doubled the amounts, even as given.

I wish Hawaii were closer, maybe I'd get a dinner invitation.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: