Sunday, April 4, 2010

Nobody Likes to Dust

Going out to get more firewood, I heard a buzzing and noticed this big black bumblebee on the crab apple tree (that is still on the front porch).  The lilac bushes behind it are heavy with buds and I am so looking forward to their heavenly scent coming in the kitchen windows...if it ever warms up enough to open the windows.  Someone will remind me I said that when I'm dripping sweat in the dead of summer, I'm sure. 
The eggs are dyed, the candy's in the bowl, and the kids are coming up today.  My mother has been in my thoughts a lot this week.  She was born on Easter Sunday, April 3, 1904, and named Esther because of that.  It could have been worse...she might have been born on Labor Day.  She only missed Easter by one day this year.  She hated dusting, too, and always said she had daughters so they could inherit that job.  When I was a kid, we had polished mahogany furniture with lots of curlicues.  I learned to hate dusting at an early age!  Be that as it may, it's the one job I have left to do before company arrives.

5 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

HAPPY EASTER one and all!!! I hope your day fills your Mom's soul to the brim!! And I, too, had to dust the antiques as a kid, and am NOT fond of it to this day. In fact, my feeling is that housework and gardening should stay DONE once you have done it, doggone it! I did it, so now I shouldn't have to do it again!! Oh, it doesn't work that way??? OK...guess I leaned that long ago. Hope you can open your windows once the lilacs bloom!! Happy egg-hunting!!

Kathryn Williams said...

I should have proofread - "...guess I LEARNED that long ago!!"

Linda Cox said...

I love it when you post pictures! Happy Easter!

Cally Kid said...

Great photos! Dawn sends me pictures of the Springtime buds and flowers starting their new year in Chico. Todays picture from her was of the “thig-a-ma-giggs” in the patio garden that die back every year. They are our favourite (old English) showcase plants (and were very expensive) so it’s always and joy and relief to see them emerge for another season. If there were an upside to living in a hotel it would have to be NO DUSTING! Daily maid service is provided for those of us who live the lifestyles of the rich and lonely. I am going to dye some eggs today but I have to find a store that is open. Actually, I am going to “die” some eggs, that is, boil a dozen to enjoy in the mornings for the work week ahead. I might even get into the Easter spirit and draw some happy faces on them with my colored Marks-A-Lot pens.

Judy said...

My grandfather was also born on an Easter Sunday, hence his name: William Easter. It was also April 1st. Good thing his parents chose what they did and not "Fool"!