Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Remember List

For someone who has trouble remembering the days of the week and who should probably have a name tag sewn into her bibbies with a note that says, "If found, return to...," there certainly is a long list of things to remember on the farm.  Things like:  double latching every gate and door in the goat barn and pen; watching for ankle-busters, those holes dug by the ground squirrels and the bomb craters scratched out by the hens, so that I'll know where they are when covered with leaves or snow; getting gas every trip to town so the tank is never low in an emergency; keeping water troughs/bowls filled to the brim in case the power goes out, winter or summer; covering outdoor faucets with an insulating cap before a freeze; keeping a supply of toilet paper always; thanking every guest for the joy and laughter they bring. 

That last one is probably the easiest, as the memory of a visit from family and friends remains long after they've departed, and this holiday was no exception.  Good company, good food, and a day-long game of poker!  It was stormy most of the day, but we dodged the snow bullet.  Deb and Craig stayed over Sunday night, and I made fried mush for breakfast.  It was a childhood favorite of mine, and evidently for Deb, too, as she somehow brought up the subject in the evening and I jumped on the idea and made the mush that night so it would be set for the morning.  It was every bit as good as we remembered, and although it was a new experience for Craig and I think he would have like some bacon or sausage to go with, he enjoyed it, too. 

It was such a pleasure to have everyone here...it certainly made it worthwhile to dust (whatever I happened to dust, and I didn't hit every flat surface).  Those who couldn't make it were missed.  I don't have to put this Easter on my Remember List.  It's locked in.  I wish I'd remembered to take photos.  (But I got the trash down to the big road this morning!)

2 comments:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like it was a MAGICAL day for you and the family - hooray!! And your list is indeed long, long, long...and another hooray for knowing that it is Tuesday-Trash-Day!!

Judy said...

How about checking to see where the cat is? Remember when I closed the door of the room below without noticing he/she was there?