Friday, April 30, 2010

She'd Fight Tigers

I took a break yesterday instead of cleaning the stalls and sat by Esther (a nonmilker) and watched mice.  There are at least ten babies now and several grownups, and when the babies had eaten their fill, they started to play...hide and seek, leap frog, follow the leader, tag.  They were nearly running over my boots, and I got to thinking that my mother would have run too...running and screaming right over the hill. 

One of my favorite family stories is of my mother and sister when my sister was a little girl.  Mother had a little mom-and-pop store and she and Pat lived in a room at the back.  Pat saw a mouse. She screamed and jumped up on the only high spot available...the toilet.  Mother would have fought tigers and leaped in front of trains to save her children, and she did what she had to do.  She pushed Pat off the toilet and jumped up there herself.  Poor Pat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, so we can all point at Grandma for the way we all behave in this family...