Thursday, December 27, 2012

Ta DA!

Back from the brink of disaster!  (Oh, who'm I kidding?  I fell right off that cliff.)  The thing is, the old computer died deader than a doornail.  A quick trip to the bank and all is right in my world with a brand-spanking new computer.  It is amazing to me how bereft I felt without this contact with the outside world for the few days I was struggling.  I really appreciate the phone calls I received from dear ones who look for the blog every day and were worried when I didn't show up.  Thanks also to Kit, who puts a comment on the last entry to let everyone know I'm alive and kicking (windgeing is more like it) if I can't make an entry.

In the meantime, the goats have coped with more rain.  There is, truly, a use for squirrel and mouse burrows.  The holes act as a drain for standing rain water!  Probably doesn't do much for the little critters, but the big barn inhabitants really appreciate not having to wade through ankle-deep puddles.  The sun came out today, but the temperature dropped wa-a-a-y down.  Had to bring out the water whacker again for the water troughs.  Bloody cold, says I.

One would think that given a delay in our Christmas get-together, I'd be more prepared.  A couple of trips to town and computer headaches haven't put me farther ahead, however. The tree still isn't decorated.  I did get all the presents wrapped, only to discover the next day that the tape had let go on every package, leaving wings of paper sticking out like the vultures on the fence posts.  Santa had left gifts of treats for Frank, Pearl, and Bessie and the kids were going to wait until Saturday to open them.  Unfortunately, as Pearl was standing in front of the treat drawer letting me know she'd really, really like some goodies, Mother Hubbard's cupboard was bare.  The only solution was to let Frank open a present early (or late, as the case may be) so we could get Pearl to shut up.

I had a lovely dinner with Joel, Judy, and Shari on Christmas Day, and have been invited back again for New Year's Eve.  I can tell myself it's just another day on the calendar, but it's awfully nice to share the "real" dates with good friends.

Given that I've been sleeping in (5:30 a.m.) with no blogligations, if I wake up in time tomorrow...stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So very, very glad that you are back, and thanks for catching us up!