Saturday, August 31, 2013

Country Calm

The silence of the morning was suddenly rent with horrible loud shrieks and screeches that went on and on.  Bessie, upset, ran off the deck toward the sound, looking back at me as if to say, "Come on, Mom, we've got to do something!"  She didn't understand why I calmly continued my walkabout.  Even though they sound as if being stuck with hot pitchforks, I knew from past experience that Frick and Frack (Caspian and Titanic), the alpacas down on the corner, were having a squabble.  It didn't help that Shadow, the donkey, chimed in with his braying.  That set off Valentine, the donkey who lives on adjoining property to the north.  Bess gave up, sat down, and started shouting, "Shut up!  Shut up!"  Other dogs in the neighborhood apparently agreed and barked along with her.

So much for country peace and quiet.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Donkey braying I could identify, but alpaca shrieks would leave me as quizzical as Bessie Anne! Your sounds are far more interesting than mine!