Thursday, December 25, 2014

Ho Ho Ho!

December 25, 2014

I don't know whether it was a "midnight clear" last night, but it's a white, wintery world this morning for traditional Christmas Day.  A storm blew in yesterday afternoon with strong winds and buckets of rain.  I'd gotten wagons of wood to the porch just in time.  Tending to the animals in the morning, I'd left the big door to the hen house closed and the gate open to the play yard so all critters could get under cover just in case the predictions were right, and it was a good thing I did.

The thermometer pegged at 26 degrees this morning and there is heavy, heavy frost in the pastures and on the deck.  Bessie and I will not be going walkabout out there; it's like black ice and not worth taking a chance.  There is something I need from the truck.  Ha!  The doors are frozen shut.  It's a good thing I don't have to go anywhere.  Pouring water on the seals has no effect.  (Safety Tip:  never pour hot water on frozen doors or windows or glass will crack.  And no, I didn't learn the hard way.)

My friend Tom came for a holiday visit yesterday and brought his recently acquired German shepherd puppy, Braca (not sure of spelling).  Braca said, "Why, yes, thank you.  I would like one of those cookies [milk bones], and I would like hers, too."  Bessie Anne explained that, no, she would keep her cookie to herself.  Boys being boys, he helped himself to Bess's food dish and slurped up a full bowl of water.  Bouncing through the house, Braca discovered the toy box and rooted around without finding anything inspiring.  Ralph's toy mouse had Braca's attention for awhile, but then, oh joy!, he found a small piece of firewood.  He happily settled down to gnaw bark and spit splinters.  Tom said his trips outside in the middle of the night with his puppy are down to only once or twice so he's getting more rest now.  Two- or four-legged, it's nice to have children around during the holidays.

I still have two days before my crowd arrives and I need each and every minute.  I've only had a year to prepare and I'm still running late.  Ho ho ho!!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Ho, Ho, Ho...and Ha, Ha, Ha (about your last lines!!)