Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Something Different

Morning walkabouts are some of my favorites (I spend as much time as I can outdoors).   Sunlight was gilding the fall colors yesterday after a day of gloom.  As I was telling a friend, I wish I had the vocabulary to accurately describe the scent and feel of the air after a rain.  "Fresh" doesn't do it justice.
Just after taking this view to the northeast, Bess informed me with a low growl that there was something in the front pasture.  At first, I couldn't see what she saw and then I got down to her level.  Just beyond the fence was a doe lying still, not even an ear twitched.  She was looking at us looking at her.  It's not common for the local deer to lie out in the open when so much cover is available, but it's possible this lady was also enjoying the sunshine and the view.  I'd like to think so.

After days of turkey, turkey sandwiches, and dressing and gravy (all of which I love), I craved something spicy last night.  There are many recipes for the main Thanksgiving leftovers, but then there are those bits and bobs in the refrigerator; what to do about them?  Spanish rolls!  Amounts for this recipe depend totally on what is on hand and to taste, so no specifics are given.  Filling:  (with what was in my fridge) grated cheddar cheese, finely chopped hard-boiled eggs and olives with a clove of garlic (I used the food processor), enough bottled salsa to moisten (supplemented with a dash of sriracha), sliced scallions, a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper.  My handful of olives happened to have rosemary and thyme included, but any herbs, or none, would do.  Mix well and stuff into leftover dinner rolls (I had ten).  For dinner, I wrapped two in foil and heated in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes until the cheese was melted.  The rest I bagged in plastic to go in the freezer.  Hot, spicy, satisfying, and a lot of space cleared in the fridge.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

When I looked at your photos, I said to myself, "You have GOT to be kidding me!!" They are beyond jigsaw-puzzle-beautiful!!!! And your Spanish rolls sound "fantastico!" (I had to look it up :-)