Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Mouse By Any Other Name...

It isn't true that one mouse looks just like another.  However, there has to be some physical characteristic that stands out before they get named.  It doesn't have to be anything as drastic as one-eyed Mini-Squint.  Li'l Larry has blended into the group now that he's full size.  There's a new kid on the block that I see every day now.  He has light patches around his eyes, ergo, his name is Bags.  Bruiser is an oversize mouse who shoulders others aside at the breakfast bar.  Vieja (old woman) went on to her reward some time back.

It's pretty much the same with chickens, although it could be personality features that I identify as well as physical attributes.  Ginger, of course, is the star of the flock now.  While I admire her intrepid spirit, I do worry about her being outside the pen all by her lonesome.  It's been a bad week for the Silkies.  I found the black rooster dead the other day, and one of the hens is not doing very well.  If she goes, that will leave just two, a hen and a rooster.  They don't seem to have as long a life span as the big chickens.

Multitudes of little barn birds gather each morning.  Lately they've been joined by much larger birds, soft grey without many markings, and they are all named Margalo.  In the Stuart Little movie, Margalo is yellow, but as I remember her from the book, she was a lovely grey.  At any rate, it's always nice to see the Margalos.

If I don't get down to the barn pretty soon, all living things will be named Hungry.  The Kids will be arriving around noon and I don't want to get caught with my dustrag down.

No comments: