Wednesday, February 4, 2015

KISS

Back in the day when I was a beginner at using a computer, whenever there was a problem the on-call tech was brought in.  I followed him around asking questions.  His best advice was to start with the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) method.  In other words, if the screen stays black, look to see if the machine is plugged in before delving deeper.  (Surprisingly, sometimes something that easy was the answer.)  I was bemoaning my fate regarding my secret project and the broken drill bits.  My friend Linda did the "leg work" and hunted down a website for me that explained in clearest terms that a little cup of water nearby would cool the bit and allow the drill to do its work.  It seems that friction and the resultant heat are what dulls and then breaks the bit.  Fancy, expensive tools and bits are not required.  Once I saw the demonstration, it all made sense and my enthusiasm has been renewed.  I do need to buy more metal-cutting bits, but now I know how to do the job correctly and am back on track with the project.  There have been many times in the last nearly 10 years that I've thought, "Doggone it, Steve, why didn't you teach me some of this stuff if you were going to leave so soon?!"  If Linda lived closer, I'd give her a big kiss for getting this info and for teaching me how to mine the computer for such gems.

I put in an order yesterday for a delivery of alfalfa and grain.  I hope it gets here before the predicted rain this weekend.  I'm pretty good about planning ahead, but I'm on the last bale and it won't last a whole week.  I'm okay on grain, but if it comes with the alfalfa delivery young, strong, male arms will unload it for me, saving my aching back.  (KISS)

Fresh mozzarella and raw mushrooms will stay fresh just so long.  In the waste not-want not way I was raised, I made another pizza last night, and used the second half of the dough.  Same ingredients, same success.  In fact, having had a little experience in spreading the dough, this second pizza might have been even better.  DIY is definitely the way to go, and it's a KISS recipe.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yay Linda. I know all about DIY on the internet but never in a million years did I think that the broken bits had to do with friction and heat buildup. I would have assumed that they were built for that. Who knew that metal drill bits and ice cream scoops and angel food cake knives/cutters all got the same treatment (that's assuming that the drill bits get a bath!)